1951 West Park Road, Elizabethtown, KY 42701
E-mail us: customercare@hcwd2.org
Monday through Friday - 8:30am to 4:30pm
Follow us:

Tariff Summary

PLEASE NOTE* – this is a summary of tariffs for Hardin County Water District No. 2, which is intended for informational purposes only and is not all-inclusive. To view these tariffs in its entirety, please click the Public Service Commission button below.

 Water Tariffs:

5/8″ x 3/4″ Connection

 First 2,000 Gallons$18.54 (Minimum)
Next 498,000 gal$5.17 per 1,000 gallons
 Over 500,000 gal$2.92 per 1,000 gallons

1″ Connection

 First 5,000 Gallons$34.05 (Minimum)
Next 498,000 gal$5.17 per 1,000 gallons
 Over 500,000 gal$2.92 per 1,000 gallons

1 1/2″ Connection

 First 10,000 Gallons$59.90 (Minimum)
Next 498,000 gal$5.17 per 1,000 gallons
 Over 500,000 gal$2.92 per 1,000 gallons 

2″ Connection

 First 20,000 Gallons$111.60 (Minimum)
Next 498,000 gal$5.17 per 1,000 gallons
 Over 500,000 gal$2.92 per 1,000 gallons

3″ Connection

 First 30,000 Gallons$163.30 (Minimum)
Next 498,000 gal$5.17 per 1,000 gallons
 Over 500,000 gal$2.92 per 1,000 gallons

4″ Connection

 First 50,000 Gallons$266.70 (Minimum)
Next 498,000 gal$5.17 per 1,000 gallons
 Over 500,000 gal$2.92 per 1,000 gallons

6″ Connection

 First 100,000 Gallons$525.20 (Minimum)
Next 498,000 gal$5.17 per 1,000 gallons
 Over 500,000 gal$2.92 per 1,000 gallons

8″ Connection

 First 150,000 Gallons$782.70 (Minimum)
Next 498,000 gal$5.17 per 1,000 gallons
 Over 500,000 gal$2.92 per 1,000 gallons

10″ Connection

 First 250,000 Gallons$1,300.70 (Minimum)
Next 498,000 gal$5.17 per 1,000 gallons
 Over 500,000 gal$2.92 per 1,000 gallons

12″ Connection

 First 400,000 Gallons$2,076.20 (Minimum)
Next 498,000 gal$5.17 per 1,000 gallons
 Over 500,000 gal$2.92 per 1,000 gallons

                                                                  CUSTOMER BILL OF RIGHTS

As a residential customer of a regulated public utility in Kentucky, you are guaranteed
the following rights subject to Kentucky Revised Statutes and the provisions of the Kentucky
Public Service Commission Administrative Regulations:

· You have the right to service, provided you (or a member of your household whose debt
was accumulated at your address) are not indebted to the utility.

· You have the right to inspect and review the utility’s rates and tariffed operating
procedures during the utility’s normal office hours.

· You have the right to be present at any routine utility inspection of your service

· You must be provided a separate, distinct disconnect notice alerting you to a possible
disconnection of your service if payment is not received.

· You have the right to dispute the reasons for any announced termination of your service.

· You have the right to negotiate a partial payment plan when your service is threatened
by disconnection for non-payment.

· You have the right to participate in equal, budget payment plans for your natural gas and
electric service.

· You have the right to maintain your utility service for up to thirty (30) days upon
presentation of a medical certificate issued by a health official.

· You have the right to prompt (within 24 hours) restoration of your service when the
cause for discontinuance of the service has been corrected.

· If you have not been disconnected, you have the right to maintain your natural gas and
electric service for up to thirty (30) days if you present a Certificate of Need issued by
the Kentucky Cabinet for Human Resources between November and the end of March.

· If you have been disconnected due to nonpayment, you have the right to have your
natural gas or electric service reconnected between the months of November through
March provided you:

1. Present a Certificate of Need issued by the Kentucky Cabinet for Human Resources, and

2. Pay one third (1/3) of your outstanding bill ($200 maximum), and

3. Accept referral to the Human Resources’ Weatherization Program, and

4. Agree to a repayment schedule that will cause your bill to become current by October 15.

· You have the right to contact the Public Service commission regarding any dispute that
you have been unable to resolve with your utility (Call Toll Free 1-800-772-4636).

The Customer Bill of Rights is referenced in 807 KAR 5:006 Section 13

Meter Size

 5/8″ x 3/4″ Connection$1,600.00
1″ Connection and Larger Actual Cost of Installation

Hardin County Water District No. 2 Notice of Tap Fee Changes

All customers will be subject to the following charges. New Service or Connection charge of $25 will apply anytime the water is turned on for a customer. Termination, Disconnection or field charge will apply anytime the water is terminated for nonpayment. Any meter moved at the customer’s request will be subject to $25 charge. Meter testing requested by the customer will be charged a fee to be determined by the District. Return checks/draft payments will be subject to a $25 return fee. Services after hours including reconnections will be subject to a $15 after hours charge. Customer bills are due by date listed on bill. If payment of the bill is not received by stated due date a 10% penalty will be applied.

The PSC Rules and Regulations governs all water-related services by Hardin County Water District No. 2. They should be referenced on all agreement and contracts for water service. They are written and enforced in accordance with Chapter 5 of the Kentucky Administrative Regulations (807 KAR 5). This is a summary of the official document which can be viewed in its entirety at Tariffs Library (ky.gov)

Anyone within the boundary of the District’s service area may request service.  An application for service or Water User Agreement is required with payment of all applicable fee before service will be provided. (See also, Water User Agreement)

Water-User-Agreement.pdf (hcwd2.org)


All service connections will have a means of back flow prevention. The District’s standard meter service connection will include a backflow prevention device, which is installed by the District. Some services may require a different type or special type of back flow prevention device as deemed necessary by the District. If a service requires a special type of backflow prevention device, The District will give a proposed cost analysis before service is installed. These devices are installed for the purpose to prevent a Cross-Connection. A Cross-Connection is a connection of the District’s water system with a water supply source of questionable quality and is prohibited. Failure to comply will result in the discontinuance of water service until the cross connection has been eliminated. The District’s system pressure may require a pressure- reducing valve to be installed on the customer’s plumbing. This device will be owned and maintained by the customer. The District also recommends that expansion tanks be installed.


Customers having boilers and/or pressure vessels receiving a supply of water from the District must have a backflow prevention device approved by the District, on the water supply line and a vacuum valve on the stream line to prevent collapse in case the water supply from the District is discontinued or interrupted for any reason, with or without notice. It is the customer’s responsibility to make necessary provisions to protect his/her equipment in case of interrupted or intermittent service.


The District recommends the installation of a thermal expansion tank to be installed on the cold side of your hot water heater as per State Division of Plumbing Regulations.





Late Notice



All meters will be read and billed monthly showing, in hundred-gallon increments, their usage during the previous monthly billing cycle except for those meters that must be estimated pursuant to Section 15.0 Estimated Bill of these Rules and Regulations. Payments must be received on or before the due date listed on the bill or the account will be assessed a 10% late payment penalty.


Bills and notices will be mailed to the address listed on the “User’s Agreement” unless a change of address has been filed in writing with the District. Payment will not be excused because of failure to receive a bill or notice. Unpaid bills will be considered delinquent on or after the past due date. The District will mail a late notice the first day of delinquency, and service may be discontinued without further notice seven (7) days after the date of the late notice. A “Customer in Good Standing” is a customer that has not been turned off for non-payment within the prior 12 months. Customers in good standing will automatically be extended a payment extension past the seventh (7th) day of the date of the late notice up to two (2) times per year. Service may be discontinued without further notice after two (2) extensions have been granted per rolling year.


Customers can receive electronic bills (E-bills) instead of mailed paper bills. The E-bill will be sent to the email address shown on the customer’s User Agreement, New Service Form, or E-bill Enrollment Form.
Customers receiving E-bills will be considered delinquent if payment is not received on or before the due date. The District will mail a paper notice via U.S. Postal Service when the account becomes delinquent. If a delinquent bill is not paid within seven (7) days of the late notice, service may be discontinued without further notice.
Customers will not be excused from payment of any bills or E-bills because of failure to receive the bill, E-bill or notice.

All customers receiving service from the District will be classified as Residential Customer Service, Commercial Customer Service, or Industrial Customer Service. The classification of the customer shall be marked on the “user agreement”. The classifications are as follows:

RESIDENTIAL CUSTOMER SERVICE – Customers who use water for a single-family dwelling, church, multi-unit residential rental, or mobile home park whether billed by an individual meter for each unit or a master meter. 

COMMERCIAL CUSTOMER SERVICE – Customers who use water for a place of business or trade, barn or any building not used for housing, or service other than residential or industrial.

INDUSTRIAL SERVICE – Any customer who uses water service in connection with the manufacturing of a product for sale to the public is classified as an industrial user and will be deemed to receive industrial customer service.

Customer complaints may be made to management. If the customer would like to appeal management’s decision, they may do so by presenting their complaint in writing to the Board of Commissioners. The complaint must be presented within 10 days of management’s decision and must contain the nature of the complaint, and supporting evidence. Decisions of the District’s Board of Commissioners may be brought to the Public Service Commission’s attention. Complaints may also be made directly to the Public Service Commission.

Every customer requesting service is required to sign the Water User Agreement-Individual customers are responsible for installing their own plumbing from the meter to inside the home. Installation of this water line is to be installed within state and federal regulations and is the responsibility of the customer to maintain.

The customer is not to tamper with or damage the water meter as it is the property of Hardin County Water District #2. Customers must provide District employees with access to the meter at all times. Failure to comply could result in disconnection of service.

No water lines can be run from the District’s water line without supervision from an agent or employee of the District.

If any defects arise that may affect the quality of your water service, the customer is to notify the District immediately. Customers should not willfully or maliciously break, damage, destroy, deface or tamper with District property. This includes meters, fire hydrants, shut off valves, or any other District equipment. Any customer found to have done so will be subject to disconnection of service and is to pay the cost of repairing and/or replacing the damaged property. See section 32.0 Tampering with a Meter.

Customers will make a deposit before service is supplied by the District as permitted by 807 KAR 5:006 Section 7(1)

Deposits may be waived with a letter of satisfactory credit and payment history from another water, electric or gas utility or if the customer has not been delinquent with, or disconnected by, the District within the past 12 months.

Interest will accrue on deposits at the rate designated annually according to KRS 278.460, beginning on the date of deposit. Interest accrued will be credited to the customer’s account on an annual basis. Upon termination of service, the deposit and interest earned will be credited to the final bill with any remainder refunded to the customer.

Deposits will be refunded after two (2) consecutive years of satisfactory payment history or when service is terminated.

To discontinue service for any reason, notice of discontinuance in person, by writing, email, or by fax is required. Requests must include the District account numbers and other identifying information and allow three (3) working days prior for completion. If such notice is not given, the customer will remain liable for all charges. If proper notice is given, the customer will not be responsible for charges beyond the three (3) working days’ notice, given that the customer provides reasonable access to the meter during that period.

The District has the right to terminate or refuse service under the following conditions.

For noncompliance for any rule listed in Tariff or by the Public Service Commission.

For Non-Payment of a bill or any debt owed to Hardin County Water #2

Illegal use, theft of services or refusal to provide reasonable access.

Connection to more than one residence to a meter.

If a residence is deemed non-fit for human occupancy by the local, state or federal housing authorities.

Tampering with the meter, meter seal, box, lock, shut off valve or any other part of the District’s system or permitting others to tamper.

Cross-connection of any separate water source with the water service provided by Hardin County Water District #2.

Customers must grant Hardin County Water District No. 2 any easement or right-of-way across any property owned or controlled by the customer necessary for the installation and maintenance of the district’s water meter, values, water lines and other facilities necessary to furnish service.

Whenever a meter has ceased to register, or a meter reading could not be obtained, the quantity of water consumed will be estimated based upon an average of at least the prior three (3) months’ consumption and the conditions of water service prevailing during the period in which the meter failed to register. If the bill is estimated, the words “Estimated Bill” will prominently be stamped or printed on the face of the bill.

Line extensions shall be made in accordance with the provisions of 807 KAR 5:066, Section 11.

Fire Departments may withdraw water from the District’s water system for the purpose of fighting fires or training firefighters at no charge on the condition that it maintains estimates of the amount of water used for fire protection and training during the calendar month and reports the amount of this usage to the District no later than the 15th day of the following calendar month. Any fire department that fails to submit the required report in a timely manner will be charged for the cost of water. Fire departments must not use this free water to wash vehicles, fill swimming pools, irrigate or for any other domestic or agricultural use.

Fire hydrants are to be used by the district and fire departments only. Any other use is strictly prohibited without authorization by the district. Fire departments will be responsible for any damage to the fire hydrant and lines that result from negligence or failure to use only soft suction hoses when connecting a pump to the fire hydrant. Fire departments must notify the district of any planned activity when using District hydrants.

Although the District is not a fire protection District, certain portions of the District’s water system have the capability of providing some level of fire protection. In those areas that have been certified by the State of Kentucky for fire flow, the district may provide fire protection for customers who enter into a special contract before the connection is made to the District’s system.

The District will be diligent in serving our customers, but will not be liable for loss, injury, or damage to persons or property resulting from interruptions in service, excessive or inadequate water pressure. The District’s systems are for rural domestic consumption and its ability to provide fire protection is coincidental. The District cannot be held responsible for breaking of mains or service pipes or any reason.

A landlord agreement can be made between the owner “Landlord” of the rental property and Hardin County Water District No. 2 “The District.”. The purpose of the agreement is to provide water in the transition between changing tenants. The following rules apply to Landlord Agreements:

– At the time the tenant leaves the property, the landlord may, in person, by phone, or by fax, request that the account be placed in the landlord’s name.

– The District will read the meter and process the final bill of the vacating tenant.

– The landlord is not required to pay a deposit, however, and special charges applied to the landlords account shall be paid upon receipt.

– When the property is rented to a new tenant, the District will read the meter and process a final bill to the landlord and place the account in the new tenant’s name.

– The District has the right to terminate the agreement at any time should the landlord fail to comply with the Districts approved rules and regulations.

If a customer has a leak in his/her plumbing or has a catastrophic problem such as one that is unable to be identified, a customer may be entitled to a bill adjustment. An adjustment will be subject to the following conditions:

– The customer must submit a written request for an adjustment.

– The leak must be repaired, or the problem must be proven to no longer exist.

– If there is a leak, the customer will be required to provide reasonable proof of repair.

– The amount of the leak adjustment must equal $50.00 or more.

– A catastrophic problem, or one that is not easily found or explained, must be thoroughly investigated by the customer before an adjustment may be granted.

– If it is determined by the District that the increase in usage was caused by something the customer did or did not do, the District will not provide an adjustment for that issue.

– A swimming pool, fishpond, irrigation system or other things that are found to be explainable by the District will not be used as a reason for an adjustment.

– The District will determine the excess usage by comparing the usage during the period(s) while there was a leak or problem with the customer’s normal usage. The customer’s normal usage will be determined by calculating the customer’s average usage for the six (6) month billing period before the leak or problem began. If a six (6) month usage history is not available, the District will use the available usage history and other relevant factors such as the number of people living in the home, to determine a reasonable estimate of the customer’s average usage. The difference between the usage while there is a problem, and the average usage is the excess usage.

– The customer’s normal usage will be billed at the rate shown in the District’s approved tariff.

– The customer’s excess usage will be billed at a reduced rate which is close to the District’s cost to produce water at any given time.

– The reduced rate is equal to 40% of the filed tariff rate for 2,000 to 500,000 gallons. This rate will be approximately equal to the District’s cost of water production at any given time.

– Each adjustment can only be used for the first two (2) billing periods after the leak or catastrophic problem first occurred.

– Only one (1) adjustment will be allowed at a particular service location during each calendar year and no customer will get more than three (3) adjustments at any particular service location in a ten year period.

– This adjustment policy applies to all customers; and-If payment of the adjusted or reduced bill still causes a great financial burden to the customer, the District could allow the adjusted bill to be paid in installments if both the District and the customer agree to the amount of the installments per month.

Any person involved in work around or near the District’s water mains or equipment must, by law, call the Kentucky Underground number. The District has a two (2) working day notice to complete its location of mains and equipment. If notice is not given or work starts too early the owner and/or the person doing the work will be liable for all damages incurred.

All meters are furnished, installed, and maintained at the expense of the District at any location where the appropriate tap has been previously made. (See Tap Fees, Section 2) The District will determine the size and type of meter used. For an additional service fee, the meter may be tested by the District if requested in writing.

The meter must be conveniently located with respect to the District’s water line in a location that is unobstructed and accessible at all times.
The District must maintain constant access to the meter for the purpose of installation, meter reading, inspection, maintenance, operation, replacement, or removal.

New Construction- A separate water meter is required for each house, each living unit of a duplex or apartment building, commercial unit or complex, and each mobile home.

Existing Structures- Existing multi-unit buildings will be evaluated by the District to determine if the plumbing system allows for installation of individual meters.

Other Conditions- If an existing property has more than one resident per meter and that property changes ownership, the District may require the new owner to purchase individual meters.

All mains, fire hydrants, valves, other appurtenances and services lines from the main to the meter, and the meter are the property of the District, whether they were installed by the District, a contractor, or the customer. The customer will install, own, and maintain their service line from the meter and/or point of delivery.

The point of delivery is the point where the meter is located on the customer’s premises. All water lines, plumbing, and equipment beyond the meter will be installed and maintained by the customer at their own expense in accordance with the District’s Rules and Regulations and the Regulations of the Health Department.

The District may, at a customer’s request, relocate, change, or modify existing mains, meters, and other facilities. The customer will be responsible for the actual cost including, but not limited to, appropriate legal administrative, engineering, and overhead costs.

Customers must permit the District access to property owned or controlled by the customer whenever necessary to lay, maintain, repair, inspect, observe, measure, sample and test, or remove water lines owned by the District and located on the customer’s property.

All service lines beyond the metering point should be installed of material consisting of polyvinyl chloride (PVC), polyethylene (PE) tubing, or copper pipe with a rating not less than 160 psi. The size of the service line beyond the point of delivery should not be less than ¾”; however, a larger size may be needed to provide adequate service. IF the customer’s point of use is at a higher elevation than the point of delivery, the customer should consult with a reputable engineering firm to size the service line from the point of delivery. Piping on the premises of a customer must be installed so that connections are conveniently located with respect to the District’s lines and mains. Access to the meter must be unobstructed and accessible at all times. If access to the meter becomes a problem, the District may relocate the meter at the owner’s expense.

Any person who tampers with or causes damage to a water meter, fire hydrant, shut off valve, or any other part of the District’s water system or property will pay the cost of repairing or replacing the damaged property as provided in SECTION 10.0: DAMAGE TO DISTRICT’S WATER SYSTEM of these Rules and Regulations. Water service will not be restored until the customer has paid the cost of repairing or replacing the damaged property.

The Water User Agreement is an agreement between the account holder and the District to provide service. This agreement is required prior to the start of service. Water User Agreement (Version 05-2019): This agreement entered into between the user, whose address is stated above, hereinafter called “USER” and Hardin County Water District #2, 1951 W Park Rd, Elizabethtown, KY, hereinafter called “SUPPLIER”. Whereas the USER desires to purchase water from the SUPPLIER, the USER hereby enters into this water user agreement as required by the Bylaws of the SUPPLIER. Now therefore, in consideration of the mutual covenants, promises, and agreements herein contained, it is hereby understood and agreed by the parties hereto as follows: The SUPPLIER shall furnish, subject to the limitations set out in the Rules and Regulations as filed with the Public Service Commission, that are now in force or as hereafter amended, such quantity of water as the USER may desire in connection with the property to be served by this agreement. The USER shall install and maintain at their own expense a service line which shall begin at the meter and extend to the dwelling or place of use. The SUPPLIER shall have exclusive rights to use such cutoff valve and water meter. The USER shall connect their service lines to the water distribution system and shall commence to use water from the system on the date the water is available to them. THE SUPPLIER, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THE USER IS CONNECTED TO THE SYSTEM, MAKES WATER CHARGES TO THE USER WILL COMMENCE ON THE DATE SERVICE AVAILABLE. The USER agrees to pay a connection fee of $ 25.00 to the SUPPLIER. If the water system is constructed, but if the property covered by this agreement is not reached by the SUPPLIER’S water line, the connection fee will be fully refunded to the USER. Construction of water lines to serve the property covered under this agreement depends upon the feasibility, availability of funds for construction and approval of all local, state, and federal agencies having jurisdiction over this type of facility. THE SUPPLIER DOES NOT GUARANTEE WATER SERVICE WILL BE MADE AVAILABLE TO THE USER. The user agrees to comply with and be bound by the Rules and Regulations of the SUPPLIER, now in force or as hereafter duly and legally supplemented, amended, or changed. The USER agrees to pay for water at such rates, time and place as shall be determined by the SUPPLIER and agrees to the imposition of such penalties for noncompliance as are now set out in the SUPPLIER’S Rules and Regulations, or which have been or hereafter be adopted and imposed by the SUPPLIER. The SUPPLIER shall determine the allocation of water to the USER in the event of a water shortage and may shut off water to the USER if they allow a connection or extension to be made of their service line for the purpose of supplying water to another party. In the event the total water supply shall be insufficient to meet all the needs of the user, or in the event there is a shortage of water, the SUPPLIER may pro-rate the water available among the various user, on such basis as is deemed equitable by the GOVERNING BODY, and if at any time the total water supply shall be insufficient to meet all the needs of the users, the SUPPLIER must first satisfy all of the needs of all users for domestic purposes before supplying any water for livestock purposes and must satisfy all the needs of all users for both domestic and livestock purposes before supplying any water for garden purposes. The USER agrees that no present or future source of water will be connected to any water lines served by the SUPPLIER’S water lines and will disconnect from their present water supply prior to connecting to and switching to the SUPPLIER’S system and shall eliminate present or future cross-contamination in their system.

The failure of the USER to pay water charges duly imposed shall result in the automatic imposition of the following penalties: 1. Nonpayment after the due date of the original bill will result in a penalty of 10% percent of the delinquent account. 2. Nonpayment within twenty days from the mailing date of the original bill will result in termination of service. 3. In the event it becomes necessary for the SUPPLIER to terminate service a termination charge of $25.00 plus a reconnect charge of $25.00 as set forth in the utility’s tariff will be assessed if service has been terminated for non-payment. It is understood and agreed that the supplier reserves the right to determine the size of service connection to be used to supply water to the USER. A 5/8” X ¾” meter will be used unless the USER contracts for a larger meter. A separate meter must be installed for each residence, mobile home or other. The USER agrees to grant to the SUPPLIER, it’s successors and assigns a perpetual easement in, over, under, and upon land owned by the USER, with the right to erect, construct, install, and lay, and thereafter use, operate, inspect, repair, maintain, replace, and remove water pipeline and appurtenant facilities, together and remove water pipelines and appurtenant facilities, together with the right to utilize adjoining lands belonging to the USER for the purpose of ingress to and egress from the said lands.

Sewer Tariffs:

First 2,000 Gallons $30.00 Minimum Bill.

Over 2,000 Gallons $10.00 per 1,000 Gallons.




New Service Fee $10.00 (N)

Reconnect Fee $10.00 (N) 

Termination Charge $10.00 (N)

Service Call/Investigation Charge $25.00 (N)

Late Payment Penalty 10%

Insufficient Funds Charge $15.00 (N) 

Inspection Fee $100.00 (N) 

See Section 31.0 for a description of each Special

5/8″ x 3/4″ – $ 500.00 

1″ – $ 800.00 

1 1/2″ – $1,300.00 

2″ – $5,000.00 

3″ and larger – To Be Based Upon Actual Water Usage.

New Service Fee $10.00 

Reconnect Fee $10.00 

Termination Charge $10.00 

Service Call/Investigation Charge $25.00 

Late Payment Penalty 10%

Insufficient Funds Charge $15.00 

Inspection Fee $100.00 

See Section 31.0 for a description of each Special Charge.